Posted on Wed Jan 22nd, 2014 8:12am PDT By X17 Staff
Selena Gomez covers the new issue of Seventeen magazine, and the 21-year-old pop star chats about love, fame and yup, she even weighs in on the drama between Lorde, who famously dissed her last year!
On feeling powerful:
- “This year is when I really started feeling powerful. I had always been the underdog secretly. I was on Disney when it was Miley [Cyrus], the Jonas Brothers, and Demi [Lovato]. I questioned the way I looked, acted, sang, and wrote. Then I turned 20, went through a really bad breakup, and realized I needed to have ‘Come & Get It’ be amazing. I wanted it all to be me. I’m glad it’s taken me this long to get where I am because now I am ready for it.”
On not changing for a guy:
- “I actually talked to Katy Perry about guys who are intimidated by strong girls. I haven’t found someone yet who could understand my lifestyle, support it, love me through it, and not be threatened by it. It’s hard. I do think I might scare some guys, because I’m like, ‘I want to change the world! I have dreams! What do you want to do?’ But I only know how to be me.”
On her split from Justin Bieber:
- "Then I turned 20, went through a really bad breakup, and realized I needed to have "Come & Get It" be amazing. I wanted it all to be me. I'm glad it's taken me this long to get where I am because now I am ready for it."
- "I recently did an interview and they asked me who I thought was up-and-coming and making a difference. I said, 'She doesn't like me, but Lorde.' I'm going to support her whether she likes me or not because I think she's doing great things. Some day I will see her and we'll be cool."
On surrounding herself with the right people:
- "I noticed my friends were different, that we were all becoming supportive. I'd get so angry at a friend and tell another friend and she'd just say, "Why don't you look at her side." And those things piss you off in the moment, but then you realize that that's who you want to be surrounded by."
Hmm, wonder what she'd have to say about Justin Bieber and those texts they allegedly exchanged?
Stories from around the Web