Oct 22, 2013 09:33 AM
Charlie Hunnam made an appearance at the 2nd annual "Hogs for Heart" event benefiting One Heart Source Education Programs in Africa on Monday, and this is the actor's first public appearance since the news broke that he was dropping out of Fifty Shades of Grey.
"I am doing good," Charlie told E! News of his decision. "I am just really concentrating on work. It's been a really busy time. I have had some family stuff going on so just trying to stay focused and stay positive and keep trying to do a good job at work and be with my family and stay positive."
Charlie's father Billy passed away in May, and the actor traveled back to England to be with his family then, and once production winds down on the sixth season of Sons of Anarchy, he'll be traveling back across the pond. "Like I said, I've got some family stuff I have to tend to," he continued. "So when I wrap the show, I am going to go to England and see my people and then I have a film that I am doing with Guillermo [del Toro]. So I am going to go and do that and concentrate on the final seasons of Sons."
Charlie dropped out of the movie earlier this month, and though he cited scheduling conflicts, it's been reported that it had more to do with money and creative control. The 33-year-old star was being paid a scant $125,000 to play the S&M loving Christian Grey, and according to The Hollywood Reporter the star reportedly made several script revisions, and while they were initially well received, this allegedly created tension between him and director Sam Taylor-Johnson.