Posted on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 AM PDT
Demi Lovato has been through a lot in her 19 years, and she recently opened up to Self readers about the life lessons she's learned along the way. Taking questions from fans, the X-Factor judge spoke candidly about her struggles with an eating disorder, cutting, and bipolar disorder.
On what she learned in rehab:
- "I've spent the past two years getting over an eating disorder and issues like self-harming and bipolar disorder. Unlike a person who doesn't have these problems, I have to work on this stuff every day. I'm reminded of that whenever I eat or feel down."
On explaining the emotions behind self-harming:
- "There were times I felt so anxious, almost like I was crawling out of my skin, that if I didn't do something physical to match the way I felt inside, I would explode. I cut myself to take my mind off that. I just didn't care what happened. I had no fear."
On being diagnosed with bipolar disorder:
- "Finding out I had a real emotional disorder helped me put together the pieces of the puzzle. I remember being on my tour bus thinking, My life is so awesome right now, but I'm so depressed. Then, a few days later, I'd be on top of the world. It was really confusing. When I got diagnosed, my life made more sense."
On deciding to go public with her eating disorder:
- "When I was younger, stick-figure thin was in and nobody was talking about eating disorders. I want girls to know that it's OK when they grow up and their body changes. I want them to be aware that certain things they might do to lose weight can be dangerous - life-threatening even."
With her new outlook on life, it sounds like the sky is the limit for Miss Lovato! Click thru to see what the former Disney star has to say about her happiness now...
On being in a happier place in her life:
- "You can choose to work toward happiness or not. I used to expect it to come to me, but it takes more than seeing a therapist once a week. I make time for myself and mediate. And I haven't used my cell in three months! Subconsciously, it was a crutch. When a room gets quiet, what do you do? Grab your phone! Now I can sit and have conversations with people."
Demi Lovato Lands In Miami For Yet Another X Factor Taping - Jul 23, 2012
Demi Lovato Chats With Ryan Seacrest About Miley Cyrus And Britney Spears - Jul 18, 2012
Demi Lovato Rocks Blonde And Pink Hair For GMA Performance - Jul 06, 2012
Demi Lovato On Being Diagnosed With Bipolar Disorder: "I'm Not Completely Crazy" - May 30, 2012
Demi Lovato Opens Up About Her Drug Use - Apr 23, 2012