Posted on Wed Nov 9, 2011 11:00 AM PDT
Producer Brett Ratner stepped down from the awards show on Tuesday, and on Wednesday it was announced that Eddie Murphy will no longer be hosting.
Ratner, Murphy's director in Tower Heist, had brought Murphy on as host. Odds are Murphy did not feel comfortable doing the awards show -- often a gamble for actors' careers (remember James Franco and Anne Hathaway's debacle from last year?), without Ratner by his side.
â€œI appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well,â€ said Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak.
A release from Murphy said:
- "First and foremost I want to say that I completely understand and support each partyâ€™s decision with regard to a change of producers for this yearâ€™s Academy Awards ceremony. I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but Iâ€™m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job."
It's expected that several writers that Ratner, a comedy vet (he also directed Rush Hour), brought on will exit as well.
The February 2012 show will be the 84th annual Academy Awards.
Ratner resigned on Tuesday after getting backlash for using a gay slur at a Tower Heist Q & A session over the weekend.
Eddie Murphy Stays Mum On Why He Backed Out Of Hosting The Oscars - Nov 09, 2011
Eddie Murphy Flaunts His Pricey Benz - Oct 19, 2011
Eddie Murphy Confirmed As Oscars Host - Sep 06, 2011
Director Brett Ratner Apologizes For Seizure Joke - Sep 05, 2011
REPORT: Eddie Murphy In The Running To Host Oscars - Sep 05, 2011