Posted on Mon Sep 6, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
John Travolta has decided not to pursue the extortion case against two people accused of trying to bribe the actor over his actions during son Jett's tragic death in the Bahamas.
A Bahamian judge dropped the case against ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne and politician Pleasant Bridgewater when Travolta's attorney submitted a motion to drop the case today just as a retrial was gearing up.
"The Travolta family has said that this matter has caused them unbelievable stress and pain and they wish to put this whole thing behind them," Travolta's lawyer told the court today, according to the AP.
In a written statement, Travolta said, "The long-pending status of this matter continued to take a heavy emotional toll on my family, causing us to conclude that it was finally time to put this matter behind us. Therefore, after much reflection I concluded that it was in my family's best interest for me not to voluntarily return to The Bahamas to testify a second time at trial."
The defendants were accused of trying to extort money from the Travolta family in order to keep a document that revealed John refused treatment on the scene of son Jett's death in January of 2009.
A mistrial was declared in October of last year. A jury was already selected for the retrial.
John and wife Kelly Preston, 47, are expecting a baby boy to arrive sometime this fall.
John Travolta And Attorney Marty Singer Sued For Malicious Prosecution - Jun 22, 2012
Report: John Travolta And Kelly Preston To Divorce - May 23, 2012
Kelly Preston Releases Touching Mother's Day Video From Hubby John Travolta - May 17, 2012
Gloria Allred To Rep John Doe Accuser #1, Fourth Accuser Comes Forward - May 16, 2012
Travolta Sex Scandal: Lawyer Says More Than 100 Alleged Victims Have Come Forward - May 09, 2012