Posted on Wed Nov 9, 2011 02:52 PM PDT
Madonna graces the December cover of Harper's Bazaar, and she talks about her early years, her upcoming feature film and how she's managed to stay on top for so long.
On how she was "tortured" as a teenager:
- "[G]oing to high school, I saw how popular girls had to behave to get the boys. I knew I couldn't fit into that. So I decided to do the opposite. I refused to wear makeup, to have a hairstyle. I refused to shave. I had hairy armpits. The boys in my school would make fun of me ... 'Hairy monster.' You know, things like that ... Straight men did not find me attractive."
On the controversy surrounding her movie W.E.:
- "Making movies is really hard. It's the hardest thing I've ever done ... When I brought up the subject of Wallis Simpson to people when I was living in England, I was astounded by the outrage that was provoked by her name. The movie is all about the cult of celebrity ... Wallis Simpson became famous by default, by capturing the heart of the king, but itâ€™s obviously a subject Iâ€™m constantly on the inside of, and the outside of."
- "I think that the world is not comfortable with female sexuality. Itâ€™s always coming from a male point of view, and a woman is being objectified by a manâ€”and even women are comfortable with that. But when a woman does it, ironically, women are uncomfortable with it. I think a lot of that has to do with conditioning.â€
Click thru to see what Madonna has to say about her age and how she relates to the subject of her film!
On aging in the spotlight, Madonna says:
- "I find whenever someone writes anything about me, my age is right after my name. It's almost like they're saying, 'Here she is, but remember she's this age, so she's not that relevant anymore.' Or 'Let's punish her by reminding her and everyone else.' When you put someone's age down, you're limiting them."
On how she relates to the subject of her film:
- â€œI think my behavior and my lifestyle threaten a lot of social norms, like the movie does. I think there are a lot of parallels and connections. I think itâ€™s just that as a creative person, in all the different things that Iâ€™ve done or ways that Iâ€™ve found to express myself, Iâ€™ve consistently come up against resistance in certain areas."
Madonna Live Streaming Paris MDNA Concert - Jul 26, 2012
Madonna Busts Out In Her New Music Video For "Turn Up The Radio" - Jul 16, 2012
EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS - Madonna And The Kids Take A Boat Tour Of Amsterdam - Jul 09, 2012
Madonna Gets Her Groove On In The Streets Of Italy For New Music Video - Jun 22, 2012
Madonna Shakes Her Pom Poms On Stage In Rome - Jun 13, 2012