Sep 6, 2012 03:30 PM
We're right there with you Simon!
During a conference call promoting the new season of X-Factor, Simon Cowell was asked about the possibility of judges Britney Spears and Demi Lovato performing on stage with contestants, but the British exec had a better idea.
- "I'd love to see a Britney and Demi duet!" he confessed.
As for NBC's decision to air an episode of The Voice the same night as the premiere of X-Factor, Cowell insists the overlap was calculating.
- "I think this is the reason NBC decided to put The Voice up against us. I think it's a spoiling tactic. It's very simple - they don't want people to see this first episode. I think it's mean spirited, and I hope and I pray that it backfires on them, because this is one of the best shows we've ever made. I am pissed off about it because I think it's kind of a gentleman's agreement. We have to rely on the viewers making the right selection. I think three nights in a row [of The Voice] is too much, and I think there's a lot of interest in our show because of Britney, Demi... we will see what happens."
In terms of possible hosts, Cowell revealed he is looking for not one, but two, personalities that are new to hosting.
- "My gut feeling is we will probably go with a boy and a girl who haven't had any hosting experience, because I think that might make it more interesting. You know what, there's so much talking on these shows now, something like 7 or 12 minutes over a 2 hour show... it's just too boring, as Ryan [Seacrest] demonstrated, for one person to say everything. I think you have to mix it up a little bit. You gotta find people with good chemistry as well. I kinda know what we are looking for, which is why we screen tested some people."
So what's it like to work with Britney Spears?
- "Britney is a fascinating person because you just don't know anything about her. She's very unpredictable and you never know what's going to happen. She has taken this very seriously, and she's suprisingly quite mean. In the past we've had judges who never say no, and she can't say no quick enough on the show. She's quite difficult to please. I like her a lot," Cowell gushed.
Demi Lovato couldn't agree more!
- "The world hasn't gotten a chance to see her personality over the past couple years, and I think this is the perfect opportunity for people to really see the light inside of her shine. She's witty and fun and quirky," Lovato added.
The X-Factor premieres Wednesday Sept. 12 at 8 p.m ET/PT on FOX. We can't wait to tune in!